Here is a list of volunteer tasks:
- registration: check people in, provide materials, answer questions.
- media assistants: help the attending media people with rooms, running, questions, etc.
- runners: carry messages, items, go for.
- speaker wranglers: make sure next speakers are lined up in front row, ready to go. Send runners to find anyone MIA, coordinate with registration desk as speakers check in.
- video operators and assistants: work with theatre staff, operate cameras, monitor sound recording. Need one person to be head/director/manager for audio/video.
drivers from the hotel to/from reception on Sunday night drivers from hotel to theatre Monday morning drivers to Cosmo Monday after the conference drivers back to hotel from the Cosmo in the evening
I have a separate post of things that can be done from anywhere, and other things that locals can help with.